Introduction: The X-Priv Kit from Smok
The Smok X-Priv kit is marketed as “It’s all screen” and oh yes they are not lying there!
In fact this has a 2 inch high definition colour screen! I almost want to see if I can watch YouTube on it!
This has a maximum output of 225W and will require 2×18650 batteries which are not included in the kit.
Smok have been producing mods and tanks for many many years and lately seem to be going mad with new releases.
The kit also includes the TFV12 Prince tank in the same colour as the mod.
There are 7 colours available: Prism Gold, Prism Blue, Prism Chrome, Prism Gun Metal, Prism Rainbow, Black/Red and the adorable Auto Pink! ♥
Will this new Smok kit prove be stunning, hardwearing and functional? Can it win me over or would I prefer to keep it as an X? I’m up for finding out!
What’s In The Box
- Dragon X-Priv Mod
- TFV12 Prince Tank
- V12 Prince Q4 0.4ohm Quad Coil
- V12 Prince T10 0.12 Decuple Coil
- Replacement tank glass
- USB Cable
- User manual
- Spare parts
Smok X-Priv Mod Features
- Size: 88mm by 46.5mm by 30.4mm
- Weight: 172g
- Power output: 1-225W
- Voltage output: 0.5 to 9.5V
- Atomizer Resistance Range: 0.1 to 2.5 ohm (VW) / 0.05-2ohm (TC)
- Firmware Upgradeable
- 6-colour modes display
- Temperature Control Output 200-600° F /100℃-315℃
- Easy to read 2inch HD screen
- Batteries : 2 x18650 (not included)
- Zinc Alloy Chassis
Smok TFV12 Prince Specs
- Capacity: 2ml (EU) or 8ml (Outside EU)
- Size: 63×25.5mm (2ml tank), 63x28mm (8ml tank)
- Stainless steel body
- 510 thread
- Optional bubble glass tube
- Bottom adjustable airflow
- Top refill system
Build Quality & Design
For this review I will concentrate on the Smok X-Priv mod. The TFV12 Prince tank was reviewed by our Laura-ann who loved it!
I was sent the Prism Gold kit which looks even more beautiful in the flesh I have to say.
This is a really classy looking mod – none of the Skulls or vaping disco mods that Smok have been producing of late.
When you look at the mod the screen instantly catches your eye it is huge and because the whole front of the mod has the same glossy finish the screen doesn’t appear to start or end and looks like it takes up the whole front of the mod.
On the side is a fire bar rather than a fire button and I love this so much. So easy to use whichever hand you hold this is as you simply just squeeze the mod to fire.
Surprisingly there are no rattles or loose bits and this mod really does feel like quality.
The rear of the mod is removable to install the batteries. The rear cover has a beautiful honeycomb effect with glittery metallic sparkles which catch the light.
The battery cover will move slightly if you put your hand on it but doesn’t move when shaking. It is held on with 4 strong magnets and to remove there is a little tab at the bottom of the cover.
I will admit to being a bit of a Smokphobe as my previous experiences with the brand haven’t been the best. But I am open minded and right now straight out of the box I am happily very impressed.
The TFV12 Prince tank is beautiful too, the cobra drip tip matches the rear case of the mod. The gold parts of the tank again match the gold on the mod.
Included in the kit is a very sexy looking braided style USB cable – which looks great and should be more hardwearing.
So far so good then Smok! Let’s chuck some e-liquid and batteries in this little stunner and see if you keep surprising me!
In The Hand
How Does the Smok X-Priv Kit Perform?
The Smok X-Priv has a new User Interface which to put it mildly is a bit of a faff.
You basically enter the menu by pressing the fire button 3 times.
Then you have to cycle through all the menu screens and it is by no means intuitive.
You are firstly presented with the Mode screen. You then have to do long fire button presses to select if any of the functions you wish to modify. Once you have selected the function you can adjust using the up and down buttons and again a long fire button press to confirm.
However if you want to move to the next screen you need a short fire button press, and then you are presented with the Puff setting menu. Again long fire buttons will select the sub menu parameters and you can then adjust.
A short fire button press then takes you to the display settings, you can change the colour of the display and time settings.
Another short fire button press takes you to the power off screen. You then use adjustment buttons to select off if you want to turn off and then have to confirm with a long fire button press. If you do a short button press you exit the menu and have to go through it all again!
- 5 presses of the fire button with the mod turned on toggles on or off the button lock.
- 5 presses of the fire button with the mod turned off will turn it on.
Phew it felt like a marathon just trying to describe this, imagine how irritating it is to just turn the bloody thing off!
How To Install The Batteries
- The rear cover simply pulls off from the mod – hook your finger under the tab at the bottom of the mod to pull the cover off.
- Install the batteries matching the polarity shown – make sure to keep the ribbon under at least one of the batteries to aid removal.
- Replace the rear cover.
My batteries have been re-wrapped – I only use a clear wrap so I still know what batteries they are underneath. There were no issues getting the batteries to fit at all. In some mods re-wrapped batteries can be a bit tight to use.
As usual it is not recommended to charge batteries in the mod, so make sure to buy a good quality external charger and follow the Battery Safety guidelines.
Smok TFV12 Prince Tank
The Smok TFV12 Prince tank has already been reviewed by Laura-Ann so I won’t go into too much detail other than how to get started with it.
How To Fill The Smok TFV12 Prince Tank
- This has a child lock button.
- Press the button whilst pushing the top cap in the direction of the arrow.
- The cap will swing across revealing the fill hole.
- Add liquid to the fill hole and watch the level through the sight glass.
- When finished adding liquid swing the top cover back into position. You may need to press the cap down slightly for it to lock back under the latch.
How To Change The Coil Head
You can replace the coil head with E-liquid still in the tank – however much more than half full you will get some liquid coming through the drip tip when the tank is upside down.
Make sure to buy TFV12 Prince coil heads. I know what Smok are like, every tank has about 30 different versions – Baby, Prince, Beast, Baby Daddy, Uncle – etc, the TFV12 Prince coil heads are the type you need to buy!
- Turn the tank upside down.
- Unscrew the base of the tank.
- If installed remove the existing coil head this simply unscrews from the tank base.
- Screw a new coil head into the tank base.
- Apply some drops of e-liquid to the cotton you can see.
- Screw the tank base back onto the tank.
- Re-fill the tank as described above.
- Allow the tank to stand for 5-10 minutes to allow all the liquid to soak into the cotton in the coil head.
- Take a few draws on the drip tip without pressing fire to suck the liquid into the coil.
Dragon X-Priv Mod
I didn’t really get on with the TFV12 Prince tank as it is a very airy vape and more of a cloud chaser.
So what I did was pop my favourite Freemax Fireluke Mesh tank on there so I could give this mod a thorough testing.
So far it is working a dream! Not skipped a beat, no problems or faults – which has surprised me and it’s been a joy.
My only downside is I am not a fan of the menu system.
It consists of screens you have to cycle through and long and short presses of the fire key.
It is pretty long winded and even worse to switch the mod off you have to cycle to the end of the screens to get the option to switch off and then more button presses. I really hate seeing this screen!!
As mentioned above the 5 fire button presses will switch the mod on, but once it is on the 5 presses will only lock or unlock the keys. You have to go through the menu rigmarole to turn it off.
Performance wise though I can’t fault it and it has stood up to being dropped a few times by me being the clumsiest cow in the land.
The large fire bar is an absolute winner and works perfectly and instantly.
Even the shiny base of the mod has no scratches from sitting on my desk and apart from fingerprints the stunning large screen has fared well and no scratches on that either.
Be prepared to be constantly rubbing this mod on your clothes as it is a fingerprint magnet.
I used dual Samsung 25R batteries in this which I keep in a pair for using in dual battery mods.
Despite the huge screen and graphics the battery life on this was similar to what I have experienced with other dual battery mods.
Obviously with different batteries and different tanks/power settings the battery life will vary. But as a guide using this in Hard taste mode at 70W with the 25R batteries I got 6.5 hours and I have been vaping this hard! (I am 6 days without a cigarette so I’m sure you can imagine how heavy I have been using this!)
- Beautiful looking mod!
- Beautiful looking tank
- Feels quality in the hand
- Huge screen
- Much more rugged than I expected.
- Has worked perfectly all the time.
- The menu system is so long winded – even turning the device off is hard going.
Focus On www.ave40.com For More Latest Vape News.
Now It’s Available :SMOK X-Priv 225W TC Kit with TFV12 Prince
Hot Sale Recommendation: